Living in a world that is ever-changing, the question begs the importance of reinvention.
Reinvention can be products, services or people and in their respective field or market.
With the sociological shifts we are seeing around us, it is important for us to be conscious of the fact that things are on the move all the time. Jobs are becoming more contractual than ever before and consumers thirst new things impatiently. They have access to more, faster. Thank you Technology!
Consumers want to see new products and ideas. Employers want fresh blood to spice up the workplace.
Musicians start as a child hood protege(not all), go to a teenage pop star, into their 20’s, then through to their twilight. If they are ‘lucky’! One hell of a roller coaster gets ridden along the way! To sustain this longevity is no meant feet and very few do it.
For them to be able to remain successful and sort after, constant reinvention is the only way forward. This is a way to look at it for us too, looking to pursue our dreams and maintain a lifestyle we want.
|Genres||Alternative rock, electronica, art rock, post-grunge|
A super talent to come out of the Australian music industry with a long list of ARIA’s and awards along the way. Certainly not the type of artist that plays musics for awards, nevertheless credit to his accomplishments.
He has continually found new ways, drawing on new inspiration and converting this to his art. From Silver Chair to The Dissociatives, continuing to is own solo career and putting this ripper out, Aerial Love!
Being this person has enabled him to sustain a career spanning decades. It could have gone either way, facing genuine controversy along the way. Wouldn’t be a rock star if you didn’t, I suppose.
Covering Nirvana’s ‘Smell’s Like Teen Spirit’ shows his versatility and the continual role of reinventing. Whether by default or not it happens.
What can we learn from this and adapt?
- Acknowledge that we are in swift moving environment.
- Enjoy what we do. If it is a true passion then this will go a long way especially when facing adversity.
- Move with the times, move with your customers or adopt new ones. More on that here re growing with your customers. And more below on this.
- Learn new ways of doing things.
- Add skills to reinvent your service or product and continue to press forward.
This example can be adapted in the work place as an employee to maintain our desirability for Staff Retention. As a business owner or operator for Customer Retention.
The statistics below bought out by Market Metrics is interesting. It highlights further the importance to grow with our existing customer base. I came across this in Ryan Holiday’s, Growth Hacker Marketing.
According to Bain & Company, a 5 percent increase in customer retention can mean a 30 percent increase in profitability for the company. And according to Market Metrics, the probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 to 70 percent, while to a new prospect it’s just 5 to 20 percent. 24 Bronson Taylor, host of Growth Hacker TV, puts it in a phrase: “Retention trumps acquisition.” 25
Holiday, Ryan (2013-09-05). Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing and Advertising .
“Retention trumps acquisition.”
Being an avid music lover, I see it that musicians are forced or again, by default to do this a lot. We can take many lessons from many artists for our self. Rock on! 🙂